Market Cross
The centre of the present day market place is occupied by a stone Tuscan column erected upon a group of three tier octagonal steps, which are known to have belonged to the ancient cross which stood here until 1754. Until 1846 the column was surmounted by a stone cross set upon a ball, and in appearance it closely resembled another cross of near identical design at Poulton-le-Fylde. During the 18th and 19th Centuries the area around the cross was occupied by a set of semi-circular fish stones, but these appear to have been removed sometime after 1867. A communal water pump was also located close by, but this was removed following a cart accident.
In 1846 the corporation affixed an oil lamp in place of the uppermost portion of the cross, which had already been deliberately removed or had fallen off through damage. This lamp was replaced in 1879 by a new single gas lamp, which was supplied from the then newly opened gas works in Moss Lane.
The cross and its environs became the custody of the Garstang town trust in 1889, who now took over the responsibility and general repairs of the column. Eight years later in 1897, as part of the Jubilee celebrations at Garstang, a new pair of lamps were fitted onto the cross. They were suspended from two wrought iron brackets on each side of the column but in 1908 the lamps had to be replaced on account of damage. The new lamps were peach shaped fittings, principally designed for widespread illumination in large public buildings, however, because of their gas consumption, they had to be replaced yet again, and two smaller fittings were affixed in the period just before the Great War began. In fact, they were purchased second hand from the London & North Western Railway Co. who had, until then, used them at Preston Station.
During the Great War period gas consumption was severely restricted and its use stopped completely in 1915 following zeppelin raids and the implementation of black out regulations. A single lamp was brought back into use after hostilities ended in 1918 and both by about 1921.
In 1924 the trust allowed Lancashire County Council to adorn the column with three directional road signs in order to assist the swiftly developing road traffic situation, but the completion of the new bypass road in October 1928 resolved the situation. The signs were eventually taken off.
Gas consumption restrictions followed again during the Second World War and to facilitate driving in complete darkness the sides of the steps were whitewashed. In 1954 Garstang Rural District Council erected electric streetlights in the town with the result that the gas lamps on the cross were now out of use. They were quickly removed leaving the lamp in its present condition.
Calamity at Market Cross
Four years later, in May 1958, the market cross was severely damaged on account of an accident involving a double decker bus catching hold of the Whitsuntide bunting which was strewn across the street. The trust under the direction of The Ancient Monuments Commission, set about its repair, but the column was not restored until 11th July 1960. Following repairs the column of the cross is now marginally shorter than it once was.
A point of note occurred in the autumn of 1966 when the trust received a communication from the Rural District Council, who were now pressing for the cross to be completely relocated to Park Hill Road at the back of town. Their reasoning for this scheme was centered on the argument that the column was a serious obstacle for passing traffic. The trust set about a strong opposition to the idea which was never adopted.
Finally, in June 2012, the trust found funds for a restoration of the market cross lamps. By way of old photographs, accurate copies of the original lamps were made and attached to the column by way of ornate, late Victorian style lamp brackets. The lamps themselves are powered by sunlight and not by gas. They are a fitting and attractive addition to the market place, and not seen in Garstang since the originals were removed in 1954.