History
By the mid-19th Century, Garstang was governed by a triumvirate of bodies: two of them being made up of town representatives and one in the County of Norfolk. The first was the old Garstang Corporation. The second was the Keppel Estate, who owned the actual fabric of the town, it's buildings and the rich and profitable land surrounding it. The third body is a unique Charity whose importance and quiet guidance at Garstang has endured for over 134 years, Garstang Town Trust.
The Old CorporationUnder the direction of Charles II, in August 1680, the Garstang Corporation was formed; this body is the earliest known institution of local Government within the town. Its administration was run by seven Burgesses and an elected Bailiff, or Freeman. In Garstang these officials were popularly referred to as the 'Mayor and Corporation' and ran very much like a parochial council. The Burgesses were elected for a lifetime, although is not clear how they were initially appointed. The office was passed down from father to son and at Garstang their position was guaranteed provided they actually lived within the confines of the Borough. If a position was vacated, the result of a death for example, the remaining Burgesses, would appoint a replacement such as a well-known and well-respected tradesmen.
As an example, the following people were Garstang's Town Burgesses in 1794:
Rev John Moss - cleric
Thomas Bell Snr Esq - tailor and draper
Thomas Bell Jnr Esq - draper and steward to the Keppel Estate
Mr Thomas Carter - grocer and butcher
Mr Richard Crombleholme - dyer
Mr Thomas Garnet - draper
Mr Robert Hendrie - grocer and draper
The Bailiff himself was annually elected at the Town Hall on the 29th of September by his fellow Burgesses. This arrangement of local government was created when the Corporation came into being and because of this, Garstang became known as a 'free borough'.
The Corporation's control was administered by an appointed Town Sergeant, who oversaw the collection of Market Tolls. In recent times the position of Town Sergeant has been known as the Market Superintendent. The following people have occupied the position of Town Sergeant from 1763;
John Hargreaves: 1763-1782
John Kay: 1782-1808
James Stuart: 1808-1820
Gawen H. Benson: 1820-1833
Samuel Weights: 1833-1836
John Thornborough: 1836
Robert Carter: 1836-1837
Richard Parker: 1837-1843
Richard Robinson: 1837-1856
William Walker: 1856-1864
Robert Swindlehurst: 1864-1871
Christopher Kelsall: 1871-1883
Thomas Crozier: 1883-1911
William Crozier: 1911-1922
Albert Richardson: 1922-1928
John Richardson: 1928-1938
Thomas Stirzaker: 1938-1953
Arthur Whitehead: 1953
Frank Jones: 1953-1963
Henry Blankney: 1963-1965
Thomas Dagger: 1965-1972
Thomas Simpson: 1972-1981
Maureen Watson: 1981-1987
William Chippendale: 1987- 2009
Eddie Zelinski 2009 - 2012
Kate Rowe: 2012 -
For generations the 'Mayor and Corporation' was the established form of governance in Garstang however the Corporation’s existence was due to expire in Aug 1880 and under a three-hundred year ruling Parliament needed to renew it; so, an opportunity arose for the Townspeople to replace the Corporation. And so it was that local Government and the control of the weekly Market were to be separated - permanently. In due course, and by the use of the Municipal Corporations Act 1883, the old corporation was finally replaced by a new governance structure.
The official date of cessation was 25 March 1886. On 21st August 1888 two public notices were posted at Garstang informing the townspeople of the impending changes, one on the front door of the Town Hall and another on the door of the Parish Church of St. Thomas. An advertisement was also posted in the Preston Guardian on 25th August and 1st September that year. On 22nd December 1888 the members of the Corporation were officially informed of the changeover and that their positions were to be abolished. The Act was put into effect on 11th January 1889, ‘The Bailiff and Burgesses of the Borough of Garstang’ be dissolved by the Municipal Corporations Act, 1883 (Charity Commissioners Schedule, 1889).
The Charity Commissioners stipulated that "...From and after the date of this Scheme, all the property mentioned in the Schedule hereto, and all other property of the above mentioned dissolved Corporation, or of any person as member or officer thereof, or of any court or judge thereof whose jurisdiction is abolished by the Municipal Corporations Act, 1883, shall be administered and managed by the body of Trustees herein after constituted subject to and in conformity with the provisions of this Scheme, under the title of ‘The Garstang Town Trust’, and all trusts administered by the said Corporation, or any officers or nominees thereof, either alone or jointly with any other persons, shall be administered by the same ‘Trustees’. Also that the lands, tenements, and hereditaments in the said Schedule are hereby vested in 'The Official Trustee of Charity Lands’. Sums of cash not required for current expenditure shall be forthwith invested under the authority of a separate Order of the Charity Commissioners, in 2 1 15 s per cent, Consolidated Stock, in the name of "The Official Trustees of Charitable Funds". All the other property of the Trust shall be vested in the persons who are for the time being Trustees under this Scheme.”
The Commissioners stated that "The Trustees shall consist of eleven competent persons”,
Two ex-officio Trustees were to be the two elected Parish Guardians of the Poor so that their interests were represented in the new Charity. Five Representative Trustees were made up in the following manner:- Four Ratepayers of the Parish of Garstang in Vestry assembled and one member by the Lancashire & Cheshire Antiquarian Society. They were to be appointed to office for a term of five years, although from 1932 this was reduced to four. Under the same revision, the two ex-officio Trustees were to be replaced by two Representative Trustees appointed by the Rural District Council; meaning that the number of Representative Trustees shall (therefore) be increased to seven.
Four Cooptative Trustees, were appointed on rotation every seven years by the Trustees themselves subject to the approval of the Charity Commissioners, It was stipulated that these members were to “reside or carry on business in or near Garstang". From 1962 these members served a term of five years following an amendment to the original 1889 Scheme. The first Co-optative members in 1889 were actually four of the former Corporation Burgesses; their experience in the town's affairs was felt to be important.
So, in January 1889, the powers and influence of the former Garstang Corporation had been brought to an end, which meant the permanent separation of Garstang Market, the indoor Market House and the Grammar School into the hands of a new Charity which had elected members within it; and when the Garstang Rural District Council was established in January 1895, none of its powers encroached upon the Trust.
The new Charity was now charged with the legal responsibility of running Garstang Market in accordance with the rights and privileges laid down in the Royal Charter of 1680. The aim of the Trust was to "manage and regulate the Market in a responsible way, keeping in balance all the various interests involved”.
The Commissioner’s Scheme also stated that “within the limits prescribed by this scheme, the Trustees shall have full power from time to time to make regulations for the conduct of their business and for the management of the Trust” and also that funds were to be established for the general upkeep and repair of the Town Hall where the old Corporation halberds, staff, seat and documents were kept.
The halberds are still used today and carried by trustees at formal community events. A picture shows trustees with the halberds in 1974 at Mayor Making for Councillor Jonathan Greenhow, the first Mayor of the newly formed Garstang Town Council. Cllr. Greenhow, or Jonty as he was known to many, was also a trustee and served in the local fire brigade for many years.
This arrangement of a publicly elected body and that of charity is quite uncommon in Britain; the Trust gives the town a special historical relevance.
Today the Trustee’s work to maintain the historical buildings in their care, run and facilitate the towns’ markets, in accordance with the Royal Charter of 1680, along with supporting community initiatives within the town.